Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Haute Girl MALA!

Have you BC'D(or planning to) and if so what prompted your decision?
M:I BC’D on 22 February, 2009 after 10 (almost 11) months of transitioning. I had originally planned to transition longer, but I realized being natural was more important to me than length, so I went ahead and did it! Best decision I could have made! Detangling is much easier, I use less product and wash-and-go’s are great.

How have family and friends embraced your beautiful locs?
M:My family and friends love my hair, especially because it’s different. My little sister and I are the only naturals in our very big family. And speaking of my little sis, (she’s 11) she loves my hair the most and couldn’t wait for me to BC so that we can have a “Sister Fro Day”. I am proud to say that I have instilled an absolute love for natural hair within her! My SO (significant other) also loves my hair and always compliments the styles I have been trying out.
What's you hair care regimen?
M:My hair regimen is and always has been pretty simple. I have about 4 staple products that I use which are
1) V05 Herbal Escapes Conditioner
2) Dabur Amla hair oil
3) Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)/Castor Oil
4) ORS Replenishing Deep Conditioner
I basically wet my hair every day in the shower and will co-wash using V05 Herbal Escapes Conditioner around every 3 days. After wetting my hair I usually put in a bit of Dabur Amla Hair Oil or an EVOO/ Castor Oil mix; then I style as desired. Once a week I deep condition using ORS Replenishing Deep Conditioner. This has been my regimen throughout my transition as well as now that I am completely natural.

How long is/was your transition process?
M:I transitioned for 10, almost 11 months.
What is the best advice you would give to someone who is thinking of transitioning?
M:The best advice I would give to someone who is thinking of transitioning is to look at a variety of hair types and lengths and envision yourself with them. I have read many threads where women have been disappointed with their hair after BCing because they had decided what they wanted their hair to look like instead of considering all possibilities and ended up with a completely different result. To go natural one must be open to learning and loving any texture that they might end up having.

No comments:

Post a Comment